Ludlow Taylor Families,
The time has finally arrived. Thank you for continued patience and grace as we invested time to get feedback and input from teachers to create a virtual schedule for all grade levels. It is a lot to digest so let me share with you now, that this upcoming Wednesday 7/19 and Thursday 7/20 from 5-5:30pm, we will host a Parent Chat and Chew to further elaborate on the schedules and allow time for questions to deeper our understanding of them. You will find the ZOOM information at the bottom of this email.
Virtual Schedules: Schedules were done with 100% input from teachers. They met with the Academic Leadership Team to draft dream schedules that were then merged together. We value the time they put aside during their summer break to help us design what they thought was the best approach alongside the DCPS guidelines. They used their experience from the Spring to further challenge themselves to new lengths. We are super proud of the outcomes.
Additional Schedule Context:
1. Virtual Schedules include Early Childhood Education (Pre-K 3 and Pre-K 4) students through grade 5 students, including creative learning classes (self-contained)
2. Specials- which include art, music, PE, Spanish, and science are included in student’s weekly schedules. Some days are live, others are not.
3. Creative Learning Classes students are included with their peers during specials time
4. Parts of the schedule defined as “small group” will not be definitive until beginning of the year data is collected. Your homeroom teacher will share the finalized classroom schedule with you which will include which days your child has individual check in’s and/or small group time
5. We have colored coded the schedules to represent what is live and what is not
7. Asynchronous learning = pre- recorded lessons and Synchronous learning = live teaching
8. Wednesdays are designed for teacher professional development and planning, specials teachers will lead classes on those days
Rosters: Because everything is virtual, we have changed our approach to how we distribute rosters. This year, students will receive a letter via USPS that identifies who their teacher is. Letters should begin arriving to homes on Wednesday of this week and continue over the coming days. This eliminates us posting first and last names on public online platforms. We do respectfully request that you allow teachers to enjoy their last few days before they walk back in (virtually) to their new normal. Then teachers will be ready to share their approach for family engagement as we prepare for the first day of school. YAY!!!
Student Curriculum Materials: We are in the process of organizing and still receiving materials from DCPS. Families will be able to pick up curriculum materials (Eureka Math student notebooks, FUNDATIONS materials, and other tools) between August 26th- August 28th from 10am-4pm and again August 29th from 10am-12pm in the gym. We changed our approach to student supply list too. Instead of donating to the school as previously stated, we decided to wait for you to hear directly from your grade level/homeroom teacher. They will provide a more intimate list of supplies needed to support online learning. Again, teachers need time to get acclimated with the new normal before distributing this list.
Technology Distribution: Later today, families who identified on the survey as needing technology will recieve an email from Mr. White about device information. It will include the process for logging in devices and the types of computers. The dates and times for distrubution will be the same as the student curriculum materials- August 26th- August 28th from 10am-4pm and again August 29th from 10am-12pm in the gym
August 26th- August 29th- Pick up materials from Ludlow-Taylor
August 31st- First Day of School for Kindergarten through Grade 5
September 3rd- First Day of School for PreK 3 and PreK 4
Remember we are here to answer any questions and provide as much comfort as possible. We are available to you and for you. We may not get it right the first time or even the second time, but we will not give up. Together we are stronger. Continue to extend grace and patience to our fearless educators who are gearing up their living rooms and offices to prepare for online learning. #LudlowTaylorStrong
Topic: Principal Daniel's Zoom Meeting about Virtual Schedules
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 885 5960 3055