We cannot believe it is May already! We are sending out the updates this week a little early to help us prepare for a few events upon us including Bike to School Day (Wednesday), PARCC testing (Tuesday) and Teacher/Staff Appreciation Week. Please see further information below:
Spring Concerts: Our Spring Concert has been moved to Thursday, June 6th for one night. The event will look as follows:
- 6:15 – 6:45 – PS-K will perform
- 6:45 – 6:55 – 10 minute intermission to allow for PS-K dismissal
- 6:55 – 7:40 – 1st-5th grades will perform
PARCC Testing and Logistics: PARCC testing for students in general education will begin Tuesday, May 7th. Thank you for your helping us to create a calm, supportive environment for our students as we try to reduce the stress of testing that many students can experience – we are confident each student will do his or her best! Additionally, to accommodate testing, we are switching the morning breakfast and recess times between Grades 3-5 and K-2, so the schedule will look as below for the next two weeks:
8:05 – 8:30 – cafeteria
8:30 – 8:50 – students run around outside
8:50 – 9:05 – students back to cafeteria for those that didn’t have breakfast yet.
8:05-8:30 – outside
8:30-8:50 am. – cafeteria /breakfast
Afterschool Enrollment begins Wednesday May 1st at 9:00 a.m. Registration is only available online at https://dcps.dc.gov/node/1063782. As a reminder, students will need to be registered for the 19-20 schoolyear in order to register for afterschool (please call the main office if your student ID number is needed). We are encouraging all families to enroll for school and afterschool asap!
End of Year Graduations/Promotions: It is that time of year to start marking your calendars for end of year celebrations! Please check with teachers on individual times, as we have tried to spread out promotion dates across a few days to allow families with students in multiple grades to attend.
- June 4th – PreK 3
- June 5th – PreK 4
- June 6th – Kindergarten Promotion
- June 7th – 5th Grade Promotion
Bike to School Day: Please join us for Bike to School Day Wednesday, May 8th! Details below:
- When: Wednesday, May 8th 7:30-8:15am
- Where: Lincoln Park- near Emancipation Statue
- What: This is Capitol Hill’s local celebration, but also the national event for the National Center for Routes to School with activities, snacks, local and national speakers, local businesses and organizations, and of course all your neighborhood friends!
- Also: Our school team, led by Coach Smith and Principal Smith will leave the par around 8:15 to head to LTES.
From the PTO: Teacher and Staff Appreciation Week! Please help us in supporting our entire staff with events throughout the week, including:
- Monday, 5/6—OPENING DAY: Omelettes cooked in JP's room from 7:45 a.m.-8:30 a.m.
- Tuesday, 5/7—GRAND SLAM SMOOTHIES: Made-to-order smoothies in the lobby resource room at 8:00 a.m.
- Wednesday, 5/8—PRINCIPAL SURPRISE: Look forward to a home run treat from Mr. Smith.
- Thursday, 5/9—7th INNING MASSAGE: Located in the dance room. Sign-up for your time slot in the front office.
- Friday, 5/10—TAILGATE PARTY: Happy Hour at Red Rocks Pizza on H Street from 5:00-7:00 p.m. Pizza and one drink ticket will be provided.
Lastly, thank you to everyone who attended, assisted, or participated in last week's school auction. It was a great success and simply another indication of the strong community support we are fortunate to have at Ludlow-Taylor.
Thanks for your continued support!