As we prepare to start our "Throwing and Catching" Unit, students worked with scarves to focus on eye-hand coordination. Students had the chance to explore with their scarf, using it to wave in the air, as a superhero cape or as a magic wand. In this lesson, students practiced tossing their scarf into the air and catching it. They were given various challenges to practice (i.e. clapping in between catches, spinning and catching the scarf, catching at a low level).
Our lesson this week is based on Fire Safety. This is a 1st Grade Cornerstone. We completed a graphic organizer on a community helper that would help in case of a fire. Students were able to identify the community helper being a firefighter and different characteristics of the community helper. After students were split into stations to practice fire safety techniques.
- Station #1: "Stop, Drop and Roll": You will begin by standing at the end of the mat and drop down quickly cover your face with your hands and roll to the end of the mat and back. If this was an actual fire rolling over and over would smother the flames. So make sure you roll really well on the areas of your body that are on fire. Once you have rolled down the mat and back, stand up and allow the next person to take their turn."
- Station #2: "Jumping to Safety": Students will jump the different hoop patterns, in order to get to safety. Bend your knees and hips, sing your arms hard and push off the ground with the balls of your feet. When you land your knees and hips should still be bent and softly and quietly land on the balls of your feet."
- Station #3: "Firefighter Fitness": Firefighters have to be physically fit in order to help people during emergencies. So at this station you will perform four different exercises 10x each. See how many you can do in 3 minutes. Now let’s try to do 2 of each together."
- Station #4: "Stay Low": When firefighters enter a home or building to rescue people and pets, they have to be careful not to breathe in smoke. Since smoke rises, firefighters have to drop low to the floor and crawl on their hands and knees in order to move underneath the smoke. Follow the different pathways as you perform low level movements and pretend to be different animals (such as a bear, snake or crab) as you move from picture to picture. You will follow the curved pathway slithering like a snake. You will bear walk along a zigzag pathway and then crab walk along a straight pathway on your hands and knees
- Station #5: "Sprint to Safety": You will sprint to safety! You will complete line touches as you run from the first line and run as fast as you can until you get to the half court line that you will touch with your hand, then turn around and run back to the first line and repeat. See how many lines you can touch in 3 minutes.
This week we started our fitness unit. Students will discuss what they think a physically fit person looks like. There are 5 components to physical fitness and we will break down each one every week. The first two we will discuss are "Muscular Strength and Muscular Endurance. Students will rotate through 6-8 different stations and discuss which ones were related to muscular strength and muscular endurance components.
- Station #1: Wall Sits- Practice sitting against a wall at a 90 degree angle for 30 seconds.
- Station #2: Modified Push-ups- Modify a push-up and bring your chest to touch the foam pad on the mat.
- Station #3: Hula Hoops- Challenge yourself to hula-hoop with one or multiple hoops.
- Station #4: Jump Ropes- Challenge yourself to jump rope. Try to use various techniques (skiers, one foot, double jumps).
- Station #5: Agility Ladder- Test your agility with completing an agility ladder. Start with jumping 2 feet in each box or running quickly with 1 foot in each box. Try not to touch the lines of the ladder during the task.
- Starion #6: Line Touches- Groups will time each other sprinting to the half court line and back, twice.
- Station #7: Bridge Hockey- With a partner form a bridge facing each other. Students will try to slide a beanbag past each other while holding their weight up in a push-up position.
- Station #8: Bridge Underhand Toss- Students will hold themselves in a push-up position and try to underhand toss a bean bag into a basket.