We are just about ready to welcome our students and families back to Ludlow-Taylor for the 2019-2020 school-year! Below are announcements pertaining to the first few days of school:
School Arrival (K-5): Starting Monday, our doors will open at 8:05 a.m., with the morning set-up as follows:
8:05 – 8:30 a.m. – outdoor playground time (families can join)
*Students arriving 8:30 or later will report directly to classrooms*
8:30 – 8:50 a.m. – breakfast in the classroom
*On Day 1, we encourage parents to bring students to the classroom between 8:30 and 8:55 and say hello to teachers. If arriving before 8:30, please enjoy the playground or multi-purpose room with your student. Principal Smith and AP Addison will then hold a parent meet and greet from 9:00 – 9:30 a.m.
Student Arrival (Early Childhood): Starting Thursday, our doors will open at 8:05 a.m., with the morning set-up as follows:
8:05 – 8:45 a.m. – students and families first sign into classrooms and drop belongings. Family members (including older siblings) will then escort students to the ECE playground outside (weather permitting). Families are welcome to stay during this time.
*Students arriving 8:45 or later will report directly to classrooms*
8:45 – 9:15 a.m. – breakfast in the classroom
*On Day 1 and Day 2, families and students will report directly to classrooms to help students get accustomed to the new year. Principal Smith and AP Addison will then hold a parent meet and greet from 9:00 – 9:30 a.m. on Day 1.
Afterschool Information: Afterschool starts day one (August 26 for K-5) and Thursday (August 29) for ECE. Please see the notes below regarding further logistical information. For any specific questions, please reach out to Mrs. Thomas at 202-805-2588 or email@example.com.
- Staff will pick up students and transition them to the after school class between 3:15 and 3:30, with a healthy snack then served to all students.
- Clubs start the 2nd week in September (Sign Up Event Thursday August 29 5pm-7pm).
- Please sign your child out at the front desk before picking them up. IDs will be checked, so all family members that could pick-up need to be added to the “authorized pickup list”
- If you need to pick up early, it's ok. If you are running late call /text Mrs. Thomas directly @202 805.2888
- Please check out the Afterschool Bulletin Board for additional information
Please help us in welcoming new staff to Ludlow-Taylor!
- Mrs. Silvia Brewer (ELL Teacher) – Mrs. Brewer joins the Ludlow-Taylor family as a ELL teacher, being shared with Stuart-Hobson. She has been a DCPS educator for twenty years. Mrs. Brewer started as a 2nd grade teacher and has taught grades 2 through 8. Most recent, as a Math teacher for 3 years and a Spanish teacher, 2 years at Stuart-Hobson Middle School. Mrs. Brewer is excited about starting a new chapter in her education career as an ELL teacher. She was born in the Dominican Republic and came to the United States as a 5 year old. She started DCPS as an ELL student at a time when there was no support available for ELL students. She looks forward to working with the entire Ludlow-Taylor family, especially those ELL students who need extra support. Mrs. Brewer is married, and has 2 adult children who reside in Los Angeles.
- Mrs. Sasha Gilmer (K-2 CES) – Before joining the Ludlow-Taylor family, Ms. Gilmer worked in DCPS at Alice Deal MS as a reading teacher. Ms. Gilmer also worked in the public charter school Perry Street Prep as a multi grade self-contained teacher. Prior to moving to DC, Ms. Gilmer has worked in New York City’s D75 sector which specializes in working with students with severe disabilities as self-contained teacher. She has also worked in the Clark County School District in Las Vegas, NV as well as KIPP New Jersey in Newark. Ms. Gilmer is excited to be returning to the CES setting and is very passionate about working with students with autism. She has over 7 years of teaching experience as a teacher and over 5 years teaching experience teaching students with disabilities. Before her career with DCPS, Ms. Gilmer, attended Howard University, where she received a B.A in African American studies. Post undergraduate completion, she went on to receive a M.S in Special Education from Pace University in New York and a M.Ed in Applied Behavior Analysis from Arizona State University. Her favorite things to do are reading, attending concerts and music festivals, working on various DIY projects, and exploring D.C . with her 5-year-old daughter, Sophina.
- Ms. Crystal Bryant (Science) – Though she’s new to the Ludlow Taylor family, Crystal is no stranger to education. Her teaching career began with pre-k-3 but has since expanded to include upper elementary and & middle school students with a focus on Math & Science. She’s taught solely in the DC charter network for the past 8 years since she graduated from Howard University. At The Mecca, she served as captain of the Ooh La La! Dance team, joined in various clubs/ organizations while earning a BS in Biology. She then went on to earn her M.Ed in Curriculum & Instruction. She’s been a teacher and instructional coach but her favorite role is “Mommy” to Demi (2 years old) & Bella (4 months). She just celebrated her 3 year anniversary with her husband Milton, who shares her passion for education. She’s also a huge true Texas girl that loves football (Go Cowboys) & enjoys spending her free-time playing fantasy football or traveling.
- Ms. Kaitlyn Roman (1st Grade). Before joining the Ludlow-Taylor family, Ms. Roman worked for 6 years as an elementary teacher at Excel Academy in Ward 8. Ms. Roman is originally from Connecticut, but became interested in education after she served with City Year in Boston, MA and worked in a third grade classroom. Before her career in education, Ms. Roman graduated from Gettysburg College where she met her husband, Dan. Ms. Roman lives in DC, and has previously coached lacrosse and Girls on the Run. She enjoys boxing, watching TV shows at home and traveling.
- Mr. Kevoy White (IT Coordinator) – Kevoy White joined the Ludlow-Taylor Elementary School in August 2019 as the IT Coordinator. He is currently a senior at the University of Maryland University College where he is pursuing a BSc in Software Development and Cybersecurity. Prior to joining the Ludlow-Taylor family, Mr. White worked as a Cybersecurity Analyst and IT Support Supervisor. He’s the second oldest of six siblings whom he often mentors and tutors. Mr. Whites has experience and knowledge in the field of information technology and is devoted to assisting in educating the next generation. Mr White is excited to join the Ludlow-Taylor Family and looks forward to forming a Tech Club focusing on coding and robotics.